Tuesday 21 August 2007

Neat Freak

One habit that I've picked up during our travels is organization. I'm not exactly "Suzy Homemaker" when we're at home so, for me, to make an effort to keep things super organized is a bit of a departure. However, it's something that I've found is necessary to keep things from getting lost. As all parents know, the loss of a child's special toy can make life pretty unbearable.

When it comes to Maya's toys and books, I've discovered that good ol' Trixie is actually helpful in this process in that she can actually double as a toy box when we aren't on the go. Not only is it a central place where I can tell Maya to put her toys when she's done, but if you have a list of what's in there you can easily look to make sure nothing's missing. I just keep it open in a corner of the room and put softer, lighter things like stuffed animals on the left side and heavier things like books and games on the right. It makes keeping the room clean easier and really helps to keep things from getting left behind. Believe me, doing a daily toy check is a lot easier than telling your child that their favorite book or toy is under a bed hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away. I've been there and its not pretty.

No comments: