Sunday 26 August 2007

Final Hours

Well, Maya and I have reached the end of our vacation. In just a few hours, we will wake up in California for the last time and will take a shuttle to LAX to catch a 6 am flight back to Washington, DC. We've had a wonderful time, though, and I really feel like we got to do pretty much everything you can possibly do while visiting here.

We spent our last day driving around Hollywood and Beverly Hills. First we drove down Rodeo Drive just to gawk at all the ridiculously expensive stores. It was a much smaller area than I was expecting so I was a little disappointed. I'm sure the shops would have been fun to walk around in but, with wares that probably cost as much as the computer I'm writing on, I decided it would be best not to visit them with a three year old in tow. Next, we decided to try to find Griffith Park where the famous Hollywood sign is. We got a little lost trying to find it and then when we finally found it we couldn't even go there because of the threat of wildfires. Eventually, we drove around until we found a good spot to snap some photos and got to see some of the ENORMOUS houses on the way. I think Maya was still quite a bit tired from yesterday because she slept through pretty much all of our time in the car today (though, admittedly, I took a cat nap as well).

After that, we visited Grumman's Chinese Theater and walked along the Walk of Fame some. We even happened upon Walt Disney's star, which I thought was very fitting after yesterday. I got to have my picture taken next to the foot and hand prints of the cast of Harry Potter (Oh no, I've outed myself as a Potter fan!) and saw the prints of many other Hollywood legends. I was a little put off by some of the weird people hanging about the theater, so I made sure to hold Maya tight. There were quite a few unsavory looking types milling about and that coupled with the many, many people there really kind of freaked both Josh and me out. We took our pictures and then made our way back to the car pretty quickly.

Sadly, because we are leaving so early, we had to say our goodbyes to Robin. It was great getting to see him though and we are already looking forward to our next trip with him at New Years. Josh is staying behind for two more days so he can see the Anaheim Angels play so hopefully all will go well in the airport in the morning as it will just be me and Maya. I can only hope that she will just sleep on the plane but, knowing my luck, she'll want me to read stories and play dolls with her. I'm getting tired already.


No comments: