Sunday 4 November 2007

When First Class Just Isn't Good Enough and Other News

I'm not sure if anyone else saw this but Singapore Airlines announced recently that they have now installed First Class Suites on their A380 jumbo jets. These things are ridiculous. Not only do you get an Italian leather lounger, but you also get meal service on hand painted china, your own wide-screen LCD, turn down service and a restroom that's actually the size of a real restroom. Oh, and did I mention that there's a bed. Yes, folks, that's right...a BED. Now, granted, the cost of the trip will only set you back $10,000 USD but who's counting?!

Check it out for yourself at http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/new/suite/index.jsp.

For those of us who function in the real world, here's a tidbit you can actually use. I was trolling around the Dollar Store the other day killing some time and saw all kinds of great things to take on flights for entertainment. Usually my rules for in-flight toys are that they are flat, they don't have anything parts that will roll all over the place, they can quickly be put away and that they can fit in the backseat pocket. I saw things like sticker books, some simple crochet crafts, ink stamp kits, small coloring/activity books, etc. At a dollar a piece it's a cheap way to keep her entertained and if it somehow ends up getting lost I'm only out a dollar. Obviously, these are more for the older set but right now, that's what I've got. When Maya was a baby I generally stuck to the same rules but made sure that the toys were age appropriate. I usually took soft sided books, relatively quiet rattle toys and, my personal favorite, a mini child sized back pack filled with some of the animals from her Fisher Price zoo set.

The Young family travel calendar is starting to look full again! Our trip to Chicago is coming up fast and I can't wait. I love seeing my brother in law and his wife so it is sure to be lots of fun. After that it's just a few weeks until Thanksgiving which involves driving 8 hours to Tennessee to see my family and another 5 hours to Kentucky to see Josh's. Then we're on a crash course for Christmas and our big trip to Turkey! I never believed my mom when she would tell me how fast the time goes when you're grown up. Now I know what she was talking about. My head is already spinning!

Also be sure to check the Where We've Been section for new links. I've been slowly going back and posting about old trips so if you want to see what we've done in the past be sure to click on those!

No comments: