Friday 20 February 2009

Trunki Goes Galactic?

No, no, towgo isn't going to space....yet! I've just been thinking a lot lately about the whole commercial space tourism industry. My friends and I have been going back and forth as of late as to what's going to happen to NASA once the shuttles are retired in 2010. I think, in order for NASA to survive, there needs to be a partial commercialization of the space industry. This, of course, means space tourism! Virgin Galactic is already signing people up for suborbital flights and NASA is already banking on there being some kind of commercial space industry in place by the time it's ready to resume lunar missions in 2020.

So...what does this mean for us?! It's a new frontier. One that's horribly, and unimaginably expensive right now, but one that I hope is within the reach of all of us someday. If I had been better at math and science I totally would have tried to become an astronaut. For now, I'll have to survive being a lounge chair shuttle commander drooling over NASA's budget release detailing all their programs. Oh yes, and being a GIANT dork.

No comments: