Sunday 1 February 2009

Superdawg: My new happy place

So, apparently, despite all these years of going to Chicago, I've never heard of the world famous Superdawg. I was trolling around the TV channels yesterday and saw that the Travel Channel had an hour long show on the world's best hot dog destinations. Clearly, someone at the Travel Channel is aware of my obsession with chili dogs and knew that I would be watching television yesterday.

Anyway, this place looks fascinating. There is, of course, the famous Superdawg itself. A special recipe dog on a bun with mustard, neon green relish, loads of onions, a fresh tomato and maybe even a few jalapeƱos. Now THAT'S a hot dog. Even better is that 1. it's a drive in (not to be confused with a drive through) and 2. there are giant hot dogs fashioned after the owners on top of the place. Really, who wouldn't want to eat at a place with a giant hot dog in a prehistoric leopard print caveman outfit on top.

I think this would be a great family summer trip. Just drive around to all the famous hot dog joints in the country seeing how quickly you could turn into your own personal salt lick from all the sodium. It's still tough for hot dog makers out there to beat my favorite dog, the Sonic Chili Cheese Footlong Coney dog. They try but really. There's just something about the Sonic dog that is so, so, so good. Maybe it's because I have to wait soooooo long in between meals. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I guess.

So, story short...I know where I'm eating the next time I'm in Chi-town!

No comments: