Tuesday 17 February 2009

Our Economy Stinks...It's Time For a Vacation in Your Mind

Yep, I'm sure it's a surprise to all of you to hear that the American economy is, in fact, in the loo right now. I don't know if we're in a depression or a recession or what. The fact that I'm even saying the word depression is rather sobering. Now I know, I know. Josh and I still take crazy vacations all around the world and I'm sure that loses people's respect some. I do care about what's happening to so many of our people right now, though. Right now, there are people who can't even afford to feed their kids, much less take a trip. And Im afraid that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Last summer I posted something about staycations. It's something that I think is still relevant today. No matter how much you hide it, stress shows through to your kids. They instinctively know when something is wrong. That's why it's so important for them to find an avenue to, mentally at least, get away. It's vitally important that YOU find a way to mentally get away. Im not talking about spending money on a vacation. But something as simple as going to your local library and getting a picture book of some far off place and imagining all the things you could do there can help take your mind off things. Getting lost pretending to be in a band with your kids while you air guitar to some music on the radio could be the answer. Go out to the woods and pretend to be lost (just don't actually get lost!). Spend time with your kids in any way you can. They need it and you need it. Hunker down and step away from the bills and just laugh, even for a minute. Your nerves will thank you.

No comments: