Friday 26 October 2007

Let's Talk Turkey

I really wish I could go into mom mode with the Turks and the Kurds right now and make everyone go to their rooms for a time out. And they definitely aren't getting any pudding after dinner! This whole situation is putting a damper on my excitement about going to Istanbul after Christmas. In truth, Turkey is gigantic and I seriously doubt there is any reason for us to be concerned but I just don't like it when there is any kind of questionable events going on in a place where I'm going. Honestly, for me it's very similar to when we went to New York so soon after September 11th. I knew that it we would be safe and nothing would happen but it still made me kind of uneasy going there. In the end everything was fine (physically at least, emotionally not so much) and we had a good time on the trip which is what I think will happen with this one.

Actually, distance-wise, the stuff that's going on in Turkey is about as far from Istanbul as New Orleans is from DC and honestly I think the aftermath of Katrina was probably worse than anything that's going on right now in Turkey. It was unbelievable what happened to New Orleans. It was complete and utter devestation and it was agonizing to watch. For us, though, outside of TV coverage of what was happening dominating the news, it was life as usual here in DC. That's probably a callous way of looking at things as we all know the people who lived in New Orleans and the surrounding area really suffered, but it's just how it was. Knowing that something like that can happen in my own country and it still not affect my daily life shows to me that, despite the unrest going on in Turkey right now, we will almost certainly be fine in Istanbul.

I just wish I could threaten them with things like no TV or forced chores to get them to stop and play nice. *sigh* The world would be so much easier to live in if it was run by moms.

No comments: