Tuesday 14 April 2009

So close, yet so far: New U.S. Travel policy for Cuba

Foiled again! While Im very glad that our new administration has decided to lift travel restrictions for U.S. citizens of Cuban descent, Im really bummed out that they did not lift the travel restrictions for U.S. citizens of non-Cuban descent. I mean really, is buying trinkets and eating at restaurants THAT bad. I know that Castro was oppressive and I understand the reason for the embargo. But, it's also been 40 years. The people in my generation are so much more global and I think most of us will agree that any regulation birthed during the Cold War is pretty outdated and way too rigid. There are other ways of disagreeing with a country's policies.

Yeah, yeah I can get there by going to Toronto first, but that method is on the shady side and I've already got dings for going to China, Turkey, Egypt, and probably Tunisia. Plus I want my stamp lol. I'm weird that way.

Oh well. The important thing is that now our Cubano citizens can go see their family...and bring back more of their yummy recipes!

No comments: