Monday 11 August 2008

Shipping bags? Really?

I keep seeing article after article suggest that people pay to ship their bags rather than pay to check them. Now, I agree that paying to check bags stinks but really...shipping? I've got several problems with this but mainly it's the cost. Using my trip to Tunisia as an example, to ship a 30lb bag (the average weight for an international trip for us) it would cost $667.84 ONE WAY and it would take 6 days to get there. Being a bit more realistic I tried seeing how much it would cost to ship it to Seattle for my brother's wedding. The cheapest option is $126.83. The big bad airline United charges $15 for your first bag and $25 for your second for a whopping $40 if you check 2 bags. Hmmmm which one will I pay.

Cost aside, who wants to have to send off half their clothes up to a week ahead of time to a destination? And if it gets there early will the hotel accept it? What happens if it gets stuck in international quarantine? There are just way too many ifs and, frankly, way too many decimal points for me to justify doing this. Maybe this will be a good reason for everyone to learn to do my favorite thing...pack less!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Miranda, what about those paranoid people like us who must pack at least 2 of everything? lol I've got to learn to pack like you!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that the price to ship luggage is pretty insane but I think it's really more of an option for people who have items they are really concerned about getting to their destination safely... the airlines don't guarantee anything as where shipping services offer tracking and insurance. But unless your transporting something really important, it's just not worth it. The fact that people are considering this says something about airlines lost/damaged luggage policies...