Monday 4 February 2008

We Have A Launch!

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, Josh has convinced me to go down to Florida in November to do Disney...again. I'm not sure why, but I just haven't been looking forward to the trip. Maybe it's because we just went to Disneyland not that long ago but, for Maya's sake, I'm willing to suck it up and go. Anyway, Josh was looking around at other places to go while we are there and said "You know, I've always wanted to go to Kennedy Space Center. I wonder how far away it is." Whu...what? Did you just say Kennedy Space Center? As in THE Kennedy Space Center? As in the place I've wanted to go to since I was like 6 and saw the movie Space Camp? My nerd heart skipped several beats! I love, love, love space stuff. Anything to do with space. NASA, space shuttles, the International Space Station, deep space satellites, space telescopes, any show with the word "star" in it. You get the drift.

As it turns out, Kennedy is only about an hour from Orlando. Awesome. Oh and for $60 you can have dinner with an actual astronaut. Even more awesome! Oh and Discovery is set to launch while we're there. SOMEONE GET THE SMELLING SALTS CUZ I'M GONNA PASS OUT!!!!!!!! Now given NASA's track record on launches it will probably be delayed but still, even if I could see it on the launch pad...I just don't even have words. If we get to be there to see the launch I think I will actually squeal with delight. That would be even more awesome than the World Cup and that's sayin something!

I'm not so sure Maya will like it. I think I'm going to have to work on her a bit. When I told her about it she thought we were going to get in the space ship and go see aliens. I tried to explain that we would just be watching astronauts go up and that they wouldn't be seeing any aliens but she still didn't like the idea. I don't know what I would do if she were too scared to watch it. With the shuttle program being phased out in just 2 years I don't think we'd ever have another chance to see one launch. Quick, someone tell me how to make her think aliens are cool!

No comments: