Wednesday 7 May 2008

Travel Immunizations, Better Known As Evil Pain Sticks

So today I took Maya to get her one and only travel immunization for this trip. I got her vaccinated for Hepatitis A. There are no required vaccinations for travel to China, only recommended ones. They are Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Typhoid, Rabies, and Malaria (through taking anti-malarials). I chose to only get Maya the Hepatitis A because it's water and food borne and is much more damaging than Typhoid Fever. The travel consultant actually told me that many pediatricians are now adding Hep A to the list of regular vaccinations for children because it is becoming so prevalent in places like daycares so Im glad I got it for her. All of the others can be avoided through simple but very important procedures such as hand washing and wearing insect repellent that is at least 30% DEET (which is generally safe for children over a year old as long as you wash it off every night).

So back to the appointment... I thought things were going well. When we got to the office Maya realized that everyone was wearing lab coats and asked me if it was a doctor's office. I said "It's a special doctors office for people who are taking trips." She asked me if she had to get a shot and gave me that "Dont lie to me" look so I told her that yes indeed she had to get a shot. She seemed to take it well and was joking and laughing. That is, until we got back in the office and she felt the alcohol swab on her arm. Once she felt the swab, she totally freaked. It eventually took three of us holding her down to give her the shot. I felt so bad. I thought she would get somewhat upset but nothing like how she reacted. It was almost as if we were coming at her with a red hot poker. I was really taken aback by her reaction and now Im dreading getting her up to date on her regular immunizations next week as she has to get 4 shots. She might be getting a tranquilizer for that one because I dont think even numbing the area will work. The very sight of the needle seems to set her off. Ugh. Thankfully after this she should be done with the exception of getting one more Hepatitis A shot which will cover her for life.

No comments: